Brookfields Special School
|Job Title||Site Controller|
Admin & Other
21,116 - 24,799
|Closing date for applications||
|Contact for further firstname.lastname@example.org|
To provide flexible support to the school regarding the management, operation, maintenance, safety and security of the school site and buildings in order to meet the needs of the Governing Board, School Business Manager and Headteacher.
To ensure school premises are maintained in a manner appropriate to support high quality teaching and learning in line with the school development plan.
To promote equality as an integral part of the role and to treat everyone with fairness and dignity.
To recognise health and safety is a responsibility of every employee, to take reasonable care of self and others and to comply with the Schools Health and Safety policy and any school-specific procedures / rules that apply to this role.
To promote the welfare of children and to support the school in safeguarding children though relevant policies and procedures.
- To work with the School Business Manager, Headteacher and SLT on strategic and operational planning of the school’s physical environment and to take responsibility for implementing the plans
- Overseeing and managing health & safety on site including management of contractors to carry out statutory checks and tests, maintaining records and files, recording details in school management system
- Advise on alterations and repairs to buildings, fixtures and fittings. To assist with researching and/or appointing contractors; To check all works are completed satisfactorily and liaise with staff and/or contractors as appropriate
- Organise specifications for larger works. Liaise with other staff and/or contractors as required to ensure delivery of works. Minimise impact of works on school
- To monitor and provide information on state and condition of furniture and Provide repair service as required
- To set up and implement a rolling programme of internal decoration and carry out any agreed improvements. This responsibility will include site adhering to Health and Safety standards
- To carry out/arrange any ongoing training of directly employed site and cleaning staff. This responsibility will include ensuring that staff adhere to Health and Safety standards
- To be responsible for bringing any major Health and Safety issues to the attention of the Headteacher and School Business Manager and to work with them to resolve the issues
- To assist the School Business Manager or his/her designated representative with the appointment of new caretaking and cleaning staff
- To monitor the performance of cleaners and manage performance issues with support from school business manager
- Advise on allocation of cleaning budget to provide basic cleaning and additional work required not covered within specification
- Take responsibility, when on duty, for the campus during evening use and use at weekends and school holidays
- Advising senior staff on the allocation of premises for evening, weekend and school holiday activities
- Be the first line contact to respond and evaluate site-related issues such as damage, breakages, leaks, equipment breakdowns, etc. and to determine what action needs to be taken
- Caretaking duties, including;
- Litter management and bin emptying
- Some cleaning responsibility
- Maintaining general tidiness of outside areas; removing leaf debris, clearing and maintaining gutters, ensuring drainage gullies are kept clear of debris
- Minor repairs to equipment, fixtures and fittings
- Minor repairs to buildings, site
- Minor redecorating works
- De-icing / snow clearing in Winter
- Any other duties commensurate with the role which may be required from time to time
Qualifications & Experience
- Relevant qualifications to include either GCSE English and Maths grades A to C or Sub level 2 vocational qualification
- Some training in Health & Safety procedures/standards such as Working at height, Manual handling, Fire Safety, Health and Safety, Legionella, Pool Plant Operators
- Commitment to undertake ongoing role-appropriate training
- Some basic IT skills and a willingness to use school IT systems (premises management & compliance, email)
- Good oral, written & communication skills
- Previous caretaking experience in a school or commercial environment
- A recognised trade such as plumbing, carpentry, decorating or similar
- Experience of the supervision of staff
- Experience in costing projects and managing budgets
- Awareness of and willing to promote the School’s social inclusion policies and practices
- Knowledge of appropriate Health and Safety requirements
- Knowledge of the appropriate use of cleaning materials and equipment
- Knowledge or experience of ways of maximising resources
Skills and Abilities
- Good planning, methodical and organisational skills
- Able to identify and carry out repairs and maintenance.
- Good basic DIY skills, including decorating.
Work-related Personal Qualities
- Confident and able to use own initiative
- Awareness of child protection and bullying issues
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Practical proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Methodical and well organised
- Practical, proactive and flexible approach to work; a “can do” attitude
- Ability to develop and maintain good relationships with staff and pupils and to work as part of a team
- An ability remain calm and measured in a challenging situation
- A willingness to find solutions to problems
Other Work-related Requirements
- Suitability to work with Children
- DBS Check
- To be reasonably fit and active, as physical work involved
- Flexible attitude to out-of-hours work on occasion
Our School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.
We are committed to securing genuine equality of opportunity in all aspects of our activities as an employer and education provider.